Saturday 9 November 2013

October Beauty Haul




Aside from all the products that I have already reviewed and purchased in October (Mecca HaulBobbi Brown Hot Cocoa Palettemaybelline shadow quads) these are the "left overs". The products that I wasn't too excited about or regarded as deserving it's own rant. Last week, and I'm a bit embarrassed to admit this, I had a love affair with drugstore products from Target. I visited target about 3 times in a single week, purchasing cosmetics and baby related merchandise. I also hit Daiso Japan in Chatswood and made a little order from kissandmakeupny.com. Here are the newbies to join my already overflowing collection.


Detergent for Puff and Sponge. I have heard much rave about this from the Facebook group "Makeup Social" (which I check daily by the way and it is not a good thing! You always hear about beauty products that you can buy) It is a $2.80 cosmetic brush/sponge cleaner. Yes, that's right $2.80 for an 80mL. Are you still wondering why I purchased 3 bottles? Daiso is unbelievably cheap for the quality of product that you get. I always mix the solution with some water for just in case the chemicals could damage my make up brushes. I haven't tried it on beauty blenders yet but I've only heard miracle testimonies on it's effect on sponge stains. If there is a Daiso near you, this is definitely worth trying out. The square thing on the left is blotting paper. It is also $2.80 for a pack of 100 sheets. And the paper is MASSIVE. It is great value for money and one sheet is definitely enough for blotting your t-zone throughout the day.


My little purchase from kissandmakeupny.com was a little disappointing. I initially only wanted to buy the Laura Mercier Spellbound Illuminator which is a limited edition highlighter. But to justify the $10 flat rate shipping, I selected 2 other products that I didn't need but decide was worthwhile to add into my cosmetics stash. Turns out, after payment, the spellbound highlighter has ran out of stock. I emailed to cancel the order as I only initially made the order for the highlighter, and they've already shipped it! Yesterday! I threw a bit of a fit in the email for not being notified before my incomplete order was sent out to me and they waved the shipping fees as an apology. So now I have yet another loose powder (Laura Mercier Transparent Loose Powder) and blush (Nars Deep Throat) that I didn't need. I wish I had added the Laura Mercier Body Butter in Creme Brûlée now that I think about it. Maybe next time.


Now onto the Target haul. I'll just get the boring stuff out of the way first. I was in dire need of a pressed powder that I could carry in my bag for touch ups throughout the day. All the current ones that I have (Rimmel Stay Matte, Hourglass Ambient Powder, MAC MSF Natural, Bourjois Healthy Mix etc etc) doesn't come with a sponge for application. The one I previously used from Gorgeous Cosmetics oxidizes hideously on my skin. (I really don't know why Gorgeous Cosmetics can think they're mediocre brand can charge so much for their products). So I purchased 2 Revlon Nearly Naked and 2 Australis Fresh and Flawless Pressed Powder. Nearly naked has been said to be lightweight with good coverage and Australis is apparently a dupe for MAC's studio fix powder. They are certainly doing a better job that Gorgeous Cosmetics for only a fraction of the price.




In last months Monthly Marvels I raved about the Covergirl & Olay Simply Ageless Concealer but mentioned that it was my exact skin tone rather than a little lighter to brighten the under eyes. So this month, I bought the lighter shade. I love it and the colour is great for making me look more awake and presentable.



L - R: Dare to be Nude Lipstick, Capuccino Please! shimmer eyeshadow, Party All Night metallic eyeshadow, Metropolitan sparkling eyeshadow


L - R: Dare to be Nude Lipstick, Capuccino Please! shimmer eyeshadow, Party All Night metallic eyeshadow, Metropolitan sparkling eyeshadow

I have never paid attention to Essence before. I always thought it was cheap stuff that high schoolers bought. Boy was I wrong. I have never been so impressed! (Maybe it's because my expectation for this product was so s*** that I was pleasantly surprised?) For $2.85 eyeshadows and $4.95 lipstick, they are a small but rewarding investment. The pigmentation and effects of the eyeshadows are seriously comparable to those that I have for Chanel. Heck, Chanel's colour pay off isn't even as good as these Essence shadows that I bought. I am definitely going back to the Essence counter next time I hit the mall for some more cheap goodies. 



L - R: Ultra Moist Lipwear in Thalia, Wonder Pencil in 01 Clair, Jumbo eye pencil in Iced Mocha



L - R: Ultra Moist Lipwear in Thalia, Wonder Pencil in 01 Clair, Jumbo eye pencil in Iced Mocha


Nyx has just hit Target in selected stores in Australia and the prices are a bit appalling. It is a little more than double it's american price. So it is still cheaper to purchase from online sites such as cherry culture or beauty joint with shipping included. The only downside is you can't swatch it. Just last week cherry culture had all Nyx products marked down up to 20% off and a further 25% site wide. I regret the colour of the lipstick a little bit as I found that it changed colour and was a little bit more darker and more purple. Just an unflattering shade with my skin tone. The wonder pencil however is a true wonder. It's better than my current Chanel kohl Pencil in Clair as it is longer lasting and more intense in colour. But the theory behind the wonder pencil doesn't really work. There is no way that a eye pencil, reverse lip liner and concealer can all be the same colour. Reverse lipliner and concealer can be similar shades but an eye brightening eyeliner has to be lighter than your skin tone in order to brighten. No?


L - R: Smoky Quartz, Backstage



L - R: Smoky Quartz, Backstage


Long story short, I went in to purchase the eye shadow in Smoky Quartz because Tanya Burr said it was a dupe for MAC Satin Taupe eye shadow. I walked out with Backstage as well. The end. I feel like I'm a bit obsessed with this gunmetal, bronzy, browny eyeshadow as you can see from Nyx Iced Mocha and Essence Party All Night.





No comments:

Post a Comment

a penny for your thoughts?