Saturday 2 November 2013

Maybelline Expert Wear Eyeshadow Quads



I'm not usually one to purchase flimsy packaged, cheap looking drugstore products, so the chance encounter with these Maybelline eyeshadow quads is pretty out of the blue. Being a neutrals-only girl, i picked out the only two which contained colours that I would actually feel comfortable wearing. The two that I picked up were Natural Smokes and Designer Chocolates.

The first palette that I caught my eye was the Natural Smokes quad. It had a gorgeous satin taupe-y lid colour and two matte shades which could be used on the brows as well as lids. This was, in my books, a practical palette. A complete eye look in one. But having used this, I realized my hopes had been set too high for this mere $11 drugstore eyeshadow. The base colour is not as pigmented as the deeper shades and the lid/crease colour is much too dark on my eyelid used together. If applied individually on the crease and using a lighter shade from another eyeshadow throughout the middle of my lids would work wonderfully though.


Natural Smokes



Natural Smokes swatched

This next quad I bought in Designer Chocolates was more of a wild card item. I stood in front of the display pondering for a good 2-3 minutes. There was a burgundy colour. I love the colour don't get me wrong but I have never applied anything like it on my lids before. Being asian and having very shallow eye sockets, I don't experiment with colours very often (ever!). I like to play it safe and stick with the browns and bronzes. 

But straight after I transferred the combination of colours from this quad to my lids, I was in love. Combining the brown Liner colour with the burgundy Crease colour creates the most beautiful shimmer shade and I really can say that I don't own another eyeshadow quite like it. I highly recommend this quad. And for $11, it couldn't hurt to try.


Designer Chocolates


Designer Chocolates swatched



Using Designer Chocolates: Base colour used to highlight brow bone. Liner colour used on bottom lash line and out crease. Crease colour used on crease on top of brown Liner colour. Lid colour used all over the lid. I blended the colours out quite a lot so the cranberry/brown colour on my crease are very subtle. This look is suitable for a housewife like me on an everyday basis :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

a penny for your thoughts?